Friday, December 21, 2007

An Interesting Question...

My brother, the oddly-labeled "Uncle Jim" of comments fame, asked this in response to my post "So...I'm Fair and Balanced?":

"Just an aside: is your church filled with followers of Hucka-Hucka-Boom-Boom, or do they see the Second Coming of Jimmy Carter through his shallow disguise?"

(And now I have Springsteen's "Brilliant Disguise" going through my head...Jim, you should write a parody about Huckabee..."Shallow Disguise")

Anyway, I could answer Jim via email, but blog fodder is blog fodder...and who am I to pass up a free idea? :)

So far I have not heard a lot of political discussion around our church, but it's early days yet. There were some interesting discussion during the last go-around, and I narrowly escaped being excommunicated for not voting Republican. I KID, PEOPLE!!!

(Not about the not voting Republican part...now all my nieces and nephews may pick themselves back off the floor...Aunt Beth is not a Democrat, either)

In God's providence, our pastor is currently preaching through 1st John. He's spent some time emphasizing the distinction John makes between the "children of God" and the "children of the Devil". And I just realized that instead of narrating his sermons and probably getting something wrong in translation, I can just link to his excellent blog post on the topic!

Absolutely No Apologies

I think he would be the first to tell you he's not setting up some official Pilgrim Bible Church political position, or meaning his blog posts to be used a sanctified voting guide or something. But it's worth reading to see how the two categories impact our voting choices.

And to bring this back to Bruce Springsteen :) here's a quote from the aforementioned song that Mr. Huckabee might want to think about: "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of..."



1 comment:

Mrs. Darling said...

Merry Christmas Beth! Peace to you and yours!