Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why my blog is boring!

I've been pondering why my blog is I am boring and cynical. So often I sit down here to write, or I start to talk to a friend, and all that comes out of my mouth is "waaah waoohh wahwahh" like the adults in a Peanuts cartoon special. My favorite posting/speaking style tends to degenerate to sarcasm because I feel like I have nothing better in my head or heart to offer.

Today I saw a quote from Charlotte Mason that explained a great deal of my problem. She said, "Never be without a really good book on hand. If you find yourself sinking to a dull commonplace level, with nothing particular to say, the reason is probably that you are not reading and therefore not thinking..."

Reading blogs doesn't count, I don't think. I do learn from blogs, particular those written by bloggers who ARE reading and who are talking through what they've learned.

Time to make time to read real books. And also get some more sleep...

9 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

I like that quote by Charlotte Mason. She was a wise woman. I think sometimes we have more to say that others can learn from than we think we do. Just find out what it is you do well and than blog about it and become your own expert! :)

Uncle Jim said...

"Meaningless! Meaningless!"
says the Teacher.
"Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless."

What does man gain from all his labor
at which he toils under the sun?

Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.

The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.

The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.

All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.

All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

Is there anything of which one can say,
"Look! This is something new"?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

©God (I'd state the year as XXXX BC, but "BC" is an oxymoron.)

Beth said...

Thank you to both of you...I think. :)

Tom checked my email and told me I had a long comment from my brother, and I'd better read it instead of just telling him to publish it. Okay, so I'm reading it out loud to him and I say "Oh, he's quoting...I think it's Song of Solomon...no.."

And he says, "No, it's not, I think it's 'Dust In The Wind'"

Repeat after me, kids...this is your brain...this is your brain on too much caffeine INSTEAD OF SLEEP!

:)

Mrs. Darling said...

That is a quote from Eclesiastics.

mandolinartist said...

Well, if I'm not bored by your blog, does that mean I'm just as boring?

NEVER!!

Rose said...

Hi-my name is Rose and I am also a homeschooling mom with cats! This is the first time I am commenting but I really enjoy your blog. Come visit. Blessings, Rose

mykidsmom said...

Hi. I found your blog through Mrs.Darling. I too feel sometimes that my blog is boring being about everyday things, but it does help me to write it down and vent occasionally (in a mostly positive way!). Besides, I like your sense of humor about things. Bloggers without any humor make me yawn a little, even if I learn from them.

Uncle Jim said...

I'm going to go waaaaaay out on a limb here and suggest that your blog would be much less boring and cynical if you had some... new content! Hah!

(I kill me.)

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind...

Mrs. Darling said...

Hey just wanted you to know I was here! Take care!