Thursday, January 17, 2008

24 Books For 2008

Okay, it's not the 888 Challenge, and I couldn't come up with a clever alternate title. Oh well. :)

After much thought and inner turmoil I have come up with my list of 24 books I plan to read in 2008. Yes, I have started on a couple of these already, fortunately! There are 9 categories, so obviously not an equal number of books in each category. There are a whole lot more books in one particular category because it's my favorite. :)

Here we go, categories are in alphabetical order:

Family

For the Family's Sake
*Susan Schaeffer Macaulay

The New Birth Order Book: Why You Are The Way You Are
*Kevin Leman

Raising Demons
*Shirley Jackson


Fiction/Literature

Home To Holly Springs
*Jan Karon

Our Mutual Friend
*Charles Dickens

The Way We Live Now
*Anthony Trollope

The Pickwick Papers
*Charles Dickens

The 39 Steps
*John Buchan

Greenmantle
*John Buchan

The Salzburg Connection
*Helen MacInnes

Swallows and Amazons
*Arthur Ransome

Three Men In A Boat
*Jerome K. Jerome


History/Audiobooks

Undaunted Courage
*Stephen Ambrose

Truman
*David McCullough


History

Unconditional Surrender
*Albert Marrin

The Birth of Britain
*Sir Winston Churchill

Modern Times
*Paul Johnson


Philosophy/Audiobooks

Plato And A Platypus Walk Into A Bar
*Thomas Cathcart


Philosophy/Politics

Modern Fascism
*Gene Edward Veith


Satire

Gulliver's Travels
*Jonathan Swift


Theology

The Rare Jewel Of Christian Contentment
*Jeremiah Burroughs

All Of Grace
*Charles Spurgeon

Spiritual Depression
*D. Martyn Lloyd Jones


Travelogue

Roughing It
*Mark Twain


All of these books are either in our house now, or easily available from the local library. Some of the categories are audiobooks so that I can do crafts while listening. I will read other books during the year not on the list. For instance, I read to Colin everyday during school and none of those books are listed. I also do a lot of casual reading of craft books, cookbooks, self-help books, etc. from the library. Those things I will dip into and glean from, but I will not give them an in-depth, serious reading.

Next year I'll evaluate how this number and combination of books worked for me and plan from there where to go. I wonder if there will be a 999 Challenge in 2009?

1 comment:

mandolinartist said...

So, which book have you started?