Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Balance

Lately I've had a hard time making everything in my life balance. Maybe "balance" as I'm thinking of it isn't even a valid concept for a Christian? Hmmm...things to think about.

Anyway, I'm tired and sore, and I feel out-of-balance. I feel like I'm spending too much time on some things and not enough on others. I especially feel like there's not enough silence in my life. Even as I type that I think of my friends who have lots of kids and I wonder what in the world is wrong with me that I, having only two children, feel so deprived of silence. Maybe I'm just a spoiled brat!

Tonight my effort at balance or silence or whatever is being aided by staying home from prayer meeting. No, I don't know if this is the best way to go about it. It might be better to go back to having Tom do the grocery shopping on Saturday morning with the kids. But that puts a burden on him that I'd rather not be responsible for.

Well, enough blogging for today. Time to disconnect and savor some solitude!

5 comments:

jennwa said...

It is hard no matter how many kids you have. It just takes time to find the balance. I do not think any of us feel like we have enough time or balance in our life.
Hang in there and do not be afraid to ask for help.

Jim said...

Beth, I understand the feeling, but I also wonder if our sense of being "out of balance" isn't just another very human example of feeling "out of control?"

I don't mean "out of control" in a psychotic sense, but in the sense that we as humans strive to maintain the pretense that we're in control of our lives.

Perhaps our "out of balance" is God's perfect balance - or, perfect for that particular moment, at the very least.

Doesn't stop me from feeling that way, but it does make me wonder...

Beth said...

Jennifer, thank you for commenting. I know you are in a very busy stage of life, too, so you know what you're talking about!

Jim, I think that's a very good point. Especially for people like you and me who are control freaks. :) I think that is what I was getting at when I asked whether "balance" was even a valid concept for a Christian. Maybe PEACE while being out-of-balance is more the goal...

Jim said...

Perhaps we're just doing the wrong thing in our search for balance... maybe we just need to sit atop the washing machine. :)

Mrs. Darling said...

Balance is always something Im striving for. I like the thought that Jim gave of our out of balance being Gods perfect balance. Hmm food for thought.