Thursday, March 6, 2008

Spoke Too Soon!

I just, and I mean just, said I was not posting about dinnerware any more. And, lo and behold, Shannon over at Rocks In My Dryer decided this would be a good time to have a Spur-Of-The-Moment Dish Carnival. She shared pictures of the various sets of dishes she owns, and encouraged the rest of us to do the same. So, IT'S NOT MY FAULT you have to read about my dishes again!

Let's see, I think I've blathered plenty about the blue transferware, so let's look at it first. These are our current everyday dishes. I bought most of these on eBay a couple of years ago. Most of them are the Liberty Blue pattern that was sold in stores and given away in banks back in the 1970s. They commemorate the US Bicentennial, and have famous historical scenes on them with a flowered pattern around the edges. The pieces that aren't Liberty Blue are English designs with similar themes...for instance, the berry bowls are the Warwick Lochs of Scotland Loch Ness design.

We have lots of dinner plates in the blue transferware, but not so many of the bowls and smaller plates. That works out fine for everyday meals for our family since there are only four of us.














Next are my new special occasion/having people over/displaying in a china cabinet when I get one dishes! These are the ones I agonized over and bored everyone to tears with my whining about. They could easily be everyday dishes, I realize. There is nothing, quality or style-wise, to distinguish them from the transferware. I am just exercising my right to designate them "special". So there. :) These are Churchill brand, and the pattern is Jacobean. I like them a lot, but they were reasonably priced so that if/when any get broken I will not be devastated. My daughter, Natalie, has decided that we can (should!) redecorate the kitchen to go with these dishes. Eeep! Fortunately, there's not much to redecorate...it will mainly involve some paint and a new valance over the window.














Finally, I have some family heirloom dishes. These are usually stored in the attic and not used, for a variety of reasons. There are not enough of them to feed very many people, they are very old and have to be hand-washed, and (whisper) I don't like the style that much. They belonged to my Grandma Cantrall, and they may have been her mother's or her aunt's before that. (I really should ask my mom about that again and make a note of it somewhere.)

Here's the thing, though, I don't associate these dishes with my Grandma...at all. We never used them for family dinners, they were not on display in a china cabinet in her house, I don't even remember her ever saying anything about them. I think that one of my aunts had them on display at her house; but I don't remember Grandma pointing them out or telling us what they meant to her when we had family gatherings there. I know my Grandma liked dishes and pretty things, but I don't know anything about how she felt about this particular set. I can remember eating off of a variety of different plates at Grandma's house...but the ones I remember were simple stoneware (or maybe melamine) in those starburst space-age patterns that were popular in the 50s and 60s.














So, that's the story of dishes around here. Go over to Rocks In My Dryer and see links to everyone who's participating in the carnival...then grab your camera, clear a spot on the dining room table, blow the dust off your dishes, and join the fun!

11 comments:

Muddy said...

I love all three sets. You have a nice collection there.

Rebecca said...

Haha, I thought of you when I saw the carnival this morning :)

I like the new dishes! Is Natalie going to eventually be guilted into the purple ones?? And now that I think about it, we have some fancy old china that I've never seen...I'll have to ask my dad where it came from.

Beth said...

Natalie is standing strong against the purple china. :) I should have given them to her when she was 9 years old and still liked purple.

You should participate in the carnival...show everyone what you're collecting. I think Nat is going to post about her dishes this afternoon.

Sandy said...

That was a fun post that Shannon did. We're just simple white dish people. White for my china and white William Sonoma for every day! Great to see everyone's taste!

Rebecca said...

I don't have much to take photos of...my grandma bought the dishes for me and is afraid to ship them!

Natalie said...

Eh, the dishes are okay, I don't hate them or anything. I'm just not real big on purple! So, no, I'm not going to be guilted into taking them! :D

Heidi @ GGIP said...

I agree, they are all really nice.

Krista said...

Hah, I like the purple ones. They're so dainty.

And you know who else likes transferware? Martha herself...Martha Stewart. So you are in good company.

jennwa said...

I am pretty sure my Mom had those Liberty Blue pattern while I was growing up.

Ewokgirl said...

Oh my goodness, I love that Liberty Blue pattern!

grey like snuffie said...

The last set reminded me of my favorite grandmother. And I think we will be inheriting some of those Starburst space age dishes from the 50's. In our family those were called the Jetson dishes years after we left home. In regard to your previous post. My mom has enough place settings of different patterns to seat close to 200 people. Believe me, you can find replacements online from several sources---my dad is an expert at it. :)