Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ten Things Tuesday

Today Rebecca's theme is Ten Literary Characters I'd Have Over For Dinner. This was fun, but I realized as I was compiling my list that many of my favorite literary characters would not behave well in polite company. I narrowed the list down to the ten who would most likely be able to get through a meal without killing each other...which meant that, tragically, Madame Defarge had to stay home. Jeeves, of course, will be there anyway to cook, serve the meal, and solve everyone's problems.

Mr. Arabin from Anthony Trollope's Barchester Towers (don't read the wiki if you want to be surprised by the ending!!)

Admiral Croft and Sophia Croft from Jane Austen's Persuasion

Shasta and Aravis from The Horse and His Boy

Puddleglum

Hercule Poirot...and if you have M. Poirot you also have to have....

Captain Hastings

Galahad Threepwood

Paddington Bear

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Shasta and Aravis almost made it onto my list. Captain Hastings would be interesting...Poirot might be a bit annoying! :)

Beth said...

Oh of course, he'd set about treating Aravis like a proper young lady and succeed in making her totally nervous. He'd hit it off with Puddleglum; they could discuss the perils of sea voyages. :)

mandolinartist said...

Interesting Post... I posted my list on Natalie's blog and included mostly characters from well known children's literature.

Futuristics said...

NICE Blog :)

Mrs. Darling said...

You are too funny. You sure did make the characters come alive LOL

agentlejoy said...

I loved Paddington, and I didn't know if anyone in America still knew who he was! Thank you.

Paddington would be perfect with Jeeves- his slightly muddled brand of dignity would go over well. Not so sure about the horse, who always struck me as a little arrogant and would be difficult to put in a dining room chair. Plus, do you serve a horse from the right or the left?