Monday, July 21, 2008

Eureka!

Abomination! "Angel food cake is the abomination of the cake world!"

That only took three cups of tea, and the last one was watered down.

In other news, the Brown Sugar Pound Cake I made on Saturday turned out to taste very good, but not have the proper pound cake texture. According to the premium catalog for the county fair, the texture of my pound cake would be described as "soggy or sad". Sad pound cake. Pobre pound cake...no es triste?

I was telling a friend last night that Yankees do make pound cake, and that we like it heavier and moister than Southern pound cake. Upon further reflection (see above re: cups of tea) I realized that what I'm thinking of is Bundt Cake. Yankees make Bundt Cake, and Bundt Cake is moist and heavier and made in a fluted pan.

There isn't a Bundt Cake category at the fair, so I will not cast my pearls before swine. I will also not continue to labor under the deluded notion that I am capable of making pound cake. :)

PS. The mind-melding in this household could be frightening to an outsider. I finished folding a load of laundry, walked into my bathroom, and suddenly shouted "Abomination!" Instead of coming running to see if I was sick or merely addled, Natalie just hollered back "Oh yes, that's it exactly!"

6 comments:

rebecca said...

That's freaky...this morning as I was getting out of bed I thought "Maybe Aunt Beth means abomination!"

Beth said...

Okay now, that is getting really scary! :)

mandolinartist aka amanda said...

I was going to say... I'm getting worried about these posts. How would a person comment, but I get it now!

Do you speak Spanish?

Speaking of, I think hispanic cakes are often very moist...

When people say cake, who knows what they could mean...

and I think we can't have our cake and eat it to... or so someone said...

Beth said...

My posts are worrisome? Hmm...I don't know, Amanda, I think maybe you are losing too much sleep with Scott's schedule right now. It will all be better in a few weeks. :)

I took Spanish in high school and college, and remember just about enough of it to be able to understand little Hispanic children who are just learning to talk. :) The Spanish above is a mangled quote from a Veggie Tales video.

mandolinartist aka amanda said...

HA.... Honestly, I just didn't "get" it at first... Sometimes I read blogs too quickly... It was all about a word...

Worried was probably not the right word, but I seriously was thinking to myself, "what in the world are they talking about?"

Jim said...

Fizzbin, Amanda. It's all about Fizzbin.

Except on Tuesdays, of course.