Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back with the Randomness...so predictable...

Hello, I'm back, and as usual after being a total blog-slacker, I am back with the Random.

•What did I do to stop my blogging cold in its tracks, as it were? I published a post in which I promised to write about something definite. Lesson to The Cat: Don't do that; it causes blogger's block and paper cuts and fleas in the armpit.

•I signed up for Facebook, which I think is meant for people younger than me. But, I did find a bunch of friends and kin around my age hanging out there...so...a revolution, I guess.

•Facebook is HARD to figure out. They keep it that way in an effort to screen out old people like me. They don't know about our secret weapons..."For Dummies" books and offspring. Heh heh...

•Despite the confusing-ness (Hey, if Bela Karolyi can say "bias-ness", I can say "confusing-ness"!) of Facebook, I'll keep puttering with it because it's another way to stay in touch with people.

•As is Twitter, but I'm not sure I'm up for more connectedness. Until I saw this video, I really didn't know what Twitter was designed to do. I thought it had something to do with cell phones. And since my cell phone likes to hang out with the aforementioned offspring, fun little cell phone applications aren't much use to me.

•Go watch the video even if you're a Twitter expert...please. Just do it. Just to hear that guy say "English" if nothing else, okay? It's almost...uh...presidential.

•Let's get this straight right now while we're talking about politics. (We totally were.) "They" don't hate us because we have so much freedom. They hate us because we don't know how to pronounce our own language. We have a hard G, people, let's use it.

•My mom used to tell me something along the lines of "you will end up being just like the person who aggravates you the most." Or maybe it was "the person you are making fun of." Hmmm. Anyway, the other night I was using the word "nuclear" and, completely without intending to, mispronounced it. Nuke-u-lure...why do you ask?

•Twitter might not work for me because it's too much like talking on the phone. I generally don't like to talk on the phone. (Stop spluttering, Natalie.) When Colin was a toddler he learned to say "Oh no...who's that?" when the phone rang.

•It's been years since I've been forced to take a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator assessment, so when I saw a link to one on someone's blog today I took it. Today I'm an INTJ. Woo, and also hoo.

•Jane Austen and C.S. Lewis were supposedly INTJs, which would give one a big head if one did not stop to consider that Donald Rumsfeld and Rudy Guiliani are also. And how does one conduct a MBTI assessment on a dead person, anyway?

•I dislike these assessments because I feel like I am incapable of answering them honestly without trying to put myself in the proper category with my answers. We once were members of a church where someone got the bright idea to do an assessment like this and then assign people jobs based on their personalities and gifts.

•You know I was trying my hardest to figure out how to rig those tests so that they'd indicate that I was ideally suited for something like ironing table covers for communion. But, no, of course that would never do. I was always "best suited" for something like making phone calls to every single family in the church to set up appointments for church directory photos.

•Which leads me to believe one of three things was happening. One, it could be that my personality can't be accurately reflected by a test, even if I'm totally and brutally honest. (Sort of a MBTI vampire?) Two, it could be that the organizers of jobs had decided what they wanted me to do and a little test wasn't going to stop them. Three, it could be that the organizers of jobs decided based on my test results that I needed to be pulled out of my shell and made to do extroverted things like making phone calls. Choose whichever option fits your Conspiracy Theory Plausibility Type Indicator.

•Where was I going with all that? Hmm...an over-elaborate explanation for why I won't be Twittering? Maybe.

•Or maybe my brain is just shutting further down than usual this week from staying up too late watching the Michael Phelps ShowNBC Olympics Coverage.

I make no promises about my future posts...got that? No promises!

15 comments:

Natalie said...

Why would I be spluttering? I don't like to talk on the phone either.

You don't Twitter, you bullet-point. The Facebook status thing is sort of the same thing too.

Beth said...

I thought that you would think I was understating my aversion to the telephone. That's what I get for trying to anticipate reactions. :)

rebecca said...

My boss (who is older than you) is on Facebook and likes to find all her students on there (which freaks some of them out)...

I am an INFJ. Or so one test thing I took said...it sounds sort of like a very critical person, but apparently they are into art and music and early childhood education.

I don't like talking on the phone either. Maybe it is in my genes?

Natalie said...

Ahhhh! I see.

mandolinartist said...

Well, I was in a meeting today where a guy was talking about a Twitter. He said the act is called tweeting, I think, and maybe those involved are twits. HOW RUDE! He also said if he explained it well, the perfect reaction should be, why in the world would someone want to tweet? ? ? ? ???? ??

I am being forced to join, more forcefully, the technology world... What should it be? Facebook, Tag, MySpace, Twitter, Blogging, Scype.... I did 'win' and IPOD this week! I guess that's baby technology step.

Natalie said...

Blogging, Amanda, blogging. Or at least Facebook. Not Myspace.

You won an iPod? Cool!

monique said...

Oh boy. I signed up for Twitter but never really understood what it's for! I'll have to check that video later.

There sure was a LOT of bias-ness going on tonight!

Swistle said...

I've been on Facebook for awhile now and they STILL sometimes surprise me with something. I'll be going along, sending people virtual plants and humming a little tune, and suddenly I've been...bitten? by a...rock star vampire? ...What?

mandolinartist said...

Monique: Twitter seems to be another way of communicating. It is like a live conversation or instant messaging program where people follow or track others and hold conversations about what is going on at this particular point. For example, a presenter asked his "twit or twitter friends" about where they were located while he was presenting, so he had an online conversation going on virtually while he was also talking in the real world.

Beth said...

Rebecca, you're better off being an INFJ than an INTJ...INTJs are the nastiest. :) The art, music, and education part fits you well, at least. I'm supposed to be well-suited to be an engineer. :)
Yes, the phone hating thing is genetic. Well, except for your dad, but I have a theory about that and I might write a post about it.

Beth said...

Amanda, if we both hadn't been sleepy we could have talked about technology options this morning at church. :) Don't do Myspace. Who's forcing you into this and with what purpose? If it's for work I guess you'll have to be careful about content. You can't just blather like I do. :)

Beth said...

Monique, I loved the "instant replay" Bob Costas showed of Bela Karolyi reacting to the gymnasts' performances. :) At least the US girls managed to get some medals, but the judging really was strange. And those little Chinese girls who are supposed to be 16...yeah right.

Beth said...

Swistle, there's a way to set things in Super Poke so that you can tell it what things you are willing to have sent to you. Some of that is just TOO weird. :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Jim said...

A theory about me and phone usage? Sure - let's hear it! :)

mandolinartist said...

Beth, I didn't mean to say forced literally. As a former tech facilitator, (former just recently,) I guess I need to experiment and try some new technology. Secondly, as I said before, several friends and relatives keep inviting me to join a group. Thirdly, I could use an outlet for my art and photography. I am leaning toward a blog, which would probably be art-based. I could link it to my school webpage if I want to do that, but it would be personal, not for school/work. Finally, so many people are having fun without me with technology, so I am thinking about joining the 21st century! :) Note: Speaking of the 21st century, when I got my new cell phone, the sales person acted like my older phone was a dinosaur, but I have only had it a few years...