Tuesday, November 18, 2008

6 Random Things

Okay, so Rebecca tagged me for this eons ago, but I am very bad about memes. I'm not even sure I can think of six things about myself that I haven't blabbed about at great length already.

I'm going to break the law and not post the rules or tag anybody. So there.

Six Things:

1. I hate talking on the phone, and this is not a problem right now because we don't have any phones that work. The kitchen phone is broken where the cord attaches to the handset, so to use it you have to hold the cord in while talking. Our bedroom phone makes an annoying clicking noise the entire time it is in use. And Natalie's bedroom phone doesn't hold a charge once you get it off the base; it's good for a short conversation and that's it. Obviously we need to buy some phones. These ones are at least 11 years old if we put them in new when we built the house. But we might have brought them from the apartment, so who knows?

2. My hair has always been curly to some degree or another. It is curlier when it is long than when it is short. Hair stylists always say things like "We could cut it off short and it would just curl up so cute!" But it won't. If it's short, it's just bendy instead of curly...and it bends in all the wrong places. The more gray hairs I get the curlier it gets. On the right side of my head I have a couple of hunks of hair that form double helix curl patterns as they dry.

3. I don't like ketchup. The only way I will eat ketchup is the way I will be eating it tonight: combined with Other Ingredients and put on top of meatloaf as a baked-on sauce. The Philistines I Live With will scrape this off and put cold ketchup on their meatloaf.

4. As of last weekend I now know how to both knit and purl! Because I am strange, the only way I can knit is Continental and the only way I can purl is Norwegian. Oh, and I do a German Twisted cast-on. I am the UN of knitting.

5. For my first real knitting project I am making fingerless gloves/mitts/wrist warmers. I could have used them today because it is COLD in here.

6. My middle name is four letters long. I was born in the age when many parents gave their children standard throw-away middle names, but even though mine is very plain it is not one of the usual ones. At least not where I grew up. The standards there were Lynn, Ann, and Marie. Maybe mine was standard somewhere else. The only explanation I've heard is that my mom wanted it to be my first name and my dad didn't, so this was the compromise. I like my name now, both first and middle, but I didn't like it when I was a kid. All the cool girls had names like "Dawn" or "Traci"...or anything ending in "i", for that matter.

Phew...that was painful. All done. More later. Time to eat the meatloaf.

8 comments:

saras said...

so what's your middle name?!

mandolinartist aka amanda said...

I didn't know you hated talking on the phone.

My family does the ketchup thing, but we do not scrape it off if it has been baked on.

My brother would put ketchup on anything.

So, do I know your middle name?

rebecca said...

As of last weekend I now know how to both knit and purl!

YAY!

Your name is sort of Austen-y :)

Cindy said...

Hey, I hate ketchup and talking on the phone! I used to knit and purl and my hair is getting grayer and curlier. I fought with it all last year and can't decide what to do with it.

Theresa said...

Hi there! Found you via Sharon's blog in your comment asking about resources on how to grow things in clay soil. I just started reading Steve Solomon's Gardening When It Counts and he talks about how to grow stuff in clay soil, and how to improve it over time so you can grow more things in it. I've learned more from the first few chapters of this book than in any other gardening book I've ever read!

MeadowLark said...

Dropped over from Sharon's place. I'm also doing the knitting thing. I taught myself continental (yarn in left hand, right?) but am wondering about the Norwegian way you talk about.

Keep us posted on your efforts!

agwh said...

Beth,

I also popped over here from Sharon's site after seeing your note about gardening. One reference-type website that might be useful to you is Walter Reeve's site, http://www.walterreeves.com/ . Even though it is about Gardening in Georgia, our soil is similar to yours (heavy red clay), we have the same drought issue, and our temperature range is similar.

I grow food in my front yard in a suburb NW of Atlanta, and it has been a challenge, but as I've added organic matter over the years, my yard's food production has improved.

Hope your gardening project is successful!

(I have a little sister named Beth whose middle name is Ann; two other sisters are Meg and Jo. My mom loved that _Little Women_ book!)

-Amy in GA

Mrs. Darling said...

I dont know how to knit or purl. Ive alwasy wanted to but I just havent taken out the time to learn.

However, I do love ketchup. My mom says that when I was 3 years old I asked for ketchup for my birthday! LOL