Thursday, May 7, 2009

"I updated it multiple times...a year."

Almost one whole month without a blog post! Yikes! Where has the time gone? Well, quick run-down on what I've been up to coming right up...with an up-front warning that none of it is terribly interesting.

•Perfecting (ha!) the art of expressing myself in 140 characters or less. Yes, I've been Twittering and you can see the impressive results over in the sidebar. I think it has been good for me to have to condense my communications to the smaller format. But it has also gotten the writing urge out of my system in little bits and pieces so that I don't feel the need to blog.

•Blithering around about kitchen repair and replacement. I think we have a plan, but I'm not sure when the plan will be implemented. We've had several plans that have had to be scratched for various reasons. We ordered a wood sample from a place that sells the exact size and style cabinet we need, and found out that the color was way off and would look icky. We bought two cabinets from Lowes that matched in color but not style and were a size compromise(15" plus 18" to fill the space left by the missing 33" cabinet) and when Tom unpacked them one had fallen apart from the unwrapping process. End of plan two, and back to Lowes with the flimsy cabinets. Plan three is the scary BIG project and I'm afraid to talk about it yet.

•Helping my parents with some banking issues. Fortunately I love my parents and I love financial finagling. I don't easily get frustrated and aggravated with financial dealings...you just go ahead and fill in the second half of that sentence yourself. Thank you. :)

•Changing the way I deal with pain. For those who might not know, you can take your pick as to what's wrong with me. I either have fibromyalgia, I may just be fat and lazy and out of shape, or I may be physically manifesting pain as a response to something in my life I can't cope with. The second one is true, the first one is my official diagnosis and some of the doctors obviously used it as a polite euphemism for the second option. The third option is something I've been reading about in a book called Worried Sick, by Nortin Hadler. The only problem is that dear Dr. Hadler doesn't have much in the way of solutions for dealing with this non-issue. I'm guessing he would tell a patient with my symptoms to seek some type of counseling.

•Meanwhile. (Do you ever get the feeling that bullet points are not really meant for the type of posts I write? I do so hate it when I have to split a subject into two bullet points because I need a new paragraph.) Meanwhile, I've stopped taking the prescription pain medicine I was taking because the more I read about it, the more convinced I was that the potential side-effects for long-term use weren't something I wanted to mess with. Hence the proliferation of Tweets about burning pain and interrupted sleep. But most everybody I know who's around my age has some sort of pain issue, so I've decided this is just normal and I'm going to have to learn to deal.

•Swine Flu. Isn't it time-consuming to have plagues and famine and financial collapse going on all around? At this point it sounds like the swine flu (I've learned to say that with a North Carolina pronunciation...just a hair more stress on the first word and always with a "the" in front of it. Like shopping at the Goodwill.) is not going to be A Big Deal. But Tom's employers are stressing workplace and employee preparedness so we've done a little more than our usual stocking up of supplies. We already had a recession/depression/we're all going to die stash of extra food staples so we really only needed to add some medical supplies. If you're a thief in need of rice, beans, Tylenol, and cough syrup we are the folks to burgle...bring it on.

•Wrapping up first grade with Colin and getting our options figured out for second grade work. I'm having a strong sense of deja-blog here...did I say I was doing this two months ago? We do school throughout the summer, so we're not planning to have a great chunk of time off. This means I don't have a great chunk of planning time, either, but since I tend to obsess and over-think things that really turns out to be better. Colin reads whacking great tomes now, so I can cut him loose with all kinds of interesting topics. He takes after me in his way of understanding (or not) math, so that's a challenge we need to deal with more thoroughly in the upcoming year. But I don't panic about school nearly so much as I did when Natalie was young. He will learn everything he needs to know eventually if we continue to work diligently at it.

Well, I should be making yogurt. Wait, I was making yogurt during my last post, too. I've been making yogurt a lot lately. Yogurt with frozen berries has become my warm weather default breakfast, so we're going through the quarts of yogurt fairly quickly. I like to make my own because it's cheaper, I can make it with whole milk (more filling when that's my whole breakfast), I can make it with milk that has Vitamin D added (I run low), and I can make it nice and thick so it's spoonable.

And if that isn't a way to wrap up a blog post, I don't know what is. That's one heck of a sentence, too, I might add.

Oh yeah, for the pair of people who don't know the source of my blog title, watch this video. Oh, and for my Cincinnati kin...R&L are doing a live show in your neck of the woods tonight. You should check it out.

2 comments:

amy said...

I'm doing the wrapping up/figuring out thing, too. Are we wrapping up? I dunno. Are we continuing? Probably. Should I start over the summer? Guess so.

It makes for a short parent-teacher conference. I just talk to myself a lot. :-)

rebecca said...

I spent a few minutes wondering how you got "the cat in the adage" out of a Rhett and Link song...since I could've sworn it was from something else entirely.

I don't think I got enough sleep last night :)