Monday, November 1, 2010

Attention To Detail

This morning I showered and got dressed for the day right around 9:00. I had been up for an hour or so, and felt reasonably awake even though I was up late last night watching the Giants beat the Rangers.

During the course of the morning, I checked our various pantries while making a grocery list, I went over said grocery list with Natalie, I made my breakfast and ate it, I followed Natalie around the house having a conversation with her while she Swiffered the floors, I did school with Colin. In other words, I was fairly actively moving around the whole house, and I had contact and conversation with both of my kids.

At 1:10PM I was standing in front of the stove, polishing the ceramic top. Colin came up behind me and said "Oh, so you're doing a half-Indian thing, are you?"

Now, Colin is the King of Random and I've learned to stop and consider what might have gone through his head before he spoke, rather than jumping to conclusions about his meaning. I paused, I considered whether he meant "Indian" in the "India" sense or the "Native American" sense. I pondered whether he had seen me looking through the cupboards and had made some assumptions about what we were having for supper. I was stumped.

"Son," I said, "What are you talking about?"

"You're doing a half-Indian thing! You have half of an Indian thing on!" (At this point he reaches under the edge of my shirt in the back and gives a tug.) "You've got this towel hanging down in the back, but you don't have one in the front."

I set down my paper towel. I reached around and felt my waistband. I tugged. Yep, I had a large-ish burgundy hand towel caught in the waist of my slacks...hanging down over my behind like half of a Native American loin cloth.

Apparently the towel was sitting on the bed when I got dressed this morning, and I managed to pick it up and incorporate it into my dressing process. Somehow I had not registered the presence of an extra piece of fabric hanging off of me while I went through my morning's activities. Somehow Natalie had not noticed that I was sporting a dark burgundy terrycloth addition to my outfit of gray pants and purple shirt. Colin was probably closest to me most of the morning, and he had not noticed it until 4 hours after I got dressed.

This is yet another reason why it's best that I don't work outside the home. :)

1 comment:

Melody said...

I am cracking up right now, hilarious!